Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Bankster - Book Review


Courtesy
When I read Ravi Subramanian called as the Indian John Grisham, I was smiling because the latter is one of my favorite authors since I laid my hands on Theodore Boon series. Ravi Subramanian is an Indian author to be followed. His writing skills are captivating and his works make one to keep turning pages. Moreover, if by mistake reader keeps the books down to rest, then make sure that reader will be constantly will be jostled with the guilt feeling for not completing with the next sequence. Ravi Subramanian has by far written five books and most of his stories serve the plot based on banking. He makes sure he speaks his mind while writing the thriller. No wonder ‘The Bankster’ is now topping the charts in the bestselling list! (Crosswords) The titles he owns under his name are If God was a Banker (2007), I bought the Monk’s Ferrari (2008), Devil in Pinstripes (2010), and The Incredible Banker (2011).

What I liked more about ‘The Bankster’ is the creativity put behind to reveal the thriller. The plot is divided into mainly 3 sub-plots that take place in Angola, Mumbai, and Kerala which are commendable. The reader never gets confused while reading it. Since this is my first stint with Ravi Subramanian’s work about banking, it was a bit difficult for me to understand the banking jargons. Nevertheless, it does not mean one can overlook the positive qualities of the book. The books has managed to reach close to reality in terms of corporate life. The jealousy between the colleagues, the marathon to hit the targets to increase incentives, the dirty game of luring customers and so called politics in the work life. 

Most captivating thing in the story is the secret murders of the bank employees and all are the key employees of the bank. Most hilarious and jaw dropping moment would be the Asad Ansari’s money being transacted in the account opened by Zinaida. Ravi Subramanian has introduced the plot in particular approach that only he can solve it and the reader has no choice but to sit and turn pages. Linguistic used in this book is creative; it is a bit in a professional and technical but is still comprehendible (This is what I mean about creativity).  Another interesting fact is the author has connected real life incidents with his fiction for instance the Japanese Tsunami in 2011 and the Kundankulam nuclear power plant protests. In a way, it is good when you try to give some similarity and captures the imagination. 

Overall, I liked the book for the way it is structured with much research, the tone while expressing the dialogues between the characters. Characters are given real life like existence and the emotions, behavior expressed is very impressive. No wonder Ravi Subramanian is called as the Indian John Grisham! My next act would be catching up on some other novels written by Ravi and embrace my blog with reviews of those books. I would really want to know other stories he wrote. He doesn’t bore me you see!

My Rating 4/5

P.S. This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com . Participate now to get free books!



(c) Reviewed by Sridevi Nayak Karopady

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes Ravi Subramanium writes really well!! And I have devoured his books like crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey nice :) and thank you for your comments

      Delete
    2. You should read his If God was a banker - I strongly feel that is his masterpiece so far!!

      Delete

Got Some Views which you think that might help me improve? Do drop it in Comment box please. Thank You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...